Communications Officer, Environment
The Walton Family Foundation is seeking a skilled, highly motivated, and entrepreneurial individual to join the foundation as a Communications Officer.
This is a full-time role based in either Washington, DC, or Denver, CO.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging
We are committed to embedding diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout the organization to foster an environment where all associates THRIVE and belong. We do this by creating:
- a culture committed to continuous learning that recognizes and values differences
- an environment of respect and connection to learn from the richness of identities, experiences, and perspectives
- fair access for all to opportunities for growth and advancement
About the Position
Specific duties include the following:
- Manage relationships with program officers to ensure all communications efforts help them reach their programmatic goals
- Build relationships with key audience groups, including grantees, influencers, and reporters, to help advance the foundation’s work
- Help design earned, owned, and paid communications strategies to reach programmatic goals
- Drive content development for earned, owned, and paid media
- Help manage internal calendars and media tracking processes to ensure communications efforts complement all program areas and the broader foundation communications strategy
Whom we are looking for:
- Builder of effective relationships and networks to achieve results
- Excellent writing skills, with a keen ability to distill complicated ideas into clear, understandable messages
- A clear understanding of how to set and implement strategy
- Ability to manage projects from conception to execution
- Insight to know which stakeholders to incorporate into different projects at different times
- Incorporate feedback from multiple stakeholders while moving projects forward
- A problem solver who is outcome oriented
- Expert at juggling multiple tasks and priorities based on the impact on overall goals
- Creative and can produce great content without having to outsource
- Constantly iterating to achieve improved outcomes
- An ambassador with the ability to give and receive feedback graciously
- A superior communicator who treats everyone with respect
- Intellectual agility and the ability to analyze, think critically and understand emerging issues that are directly relevant to quality-of-life initiatives
- Unquestionable ethics and personal integrity
- An effective team member who is also able to act independently and deliver with limited guidance through DocuSign
- Willingness to make a passionate commitment to the goals of the Walton Family Foundation
- Ability to travel
Basic qualifications required for your success:
- At least five to seven years of communications work experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, digital skills a plus
Additional helpful experience includes:
- Experience working on government, political campaigns, or communications agencies
Compensation and Benefits
The Walton Family Foundation offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience.
Salary Range: $110,000 - $137,000
All offers of employment are contingent on your successful completion (where permitted by state law) of a confidentiality agreement and background check. In addition, you will need to provide proper identification verifying your eligibility to work in the United States on your first day of work.
About the Walton Family Foundation
The Walton Family Foundation is, at its core, a family-led foundation. Three generations of the descendants of our founders, Sam and Helen Walton, and their spouses, work together to lead the foundation and create access to opportunity for people and communities. We work in three areas: improving K-12 education, protecting rivers and oceans and the communities they support, and investing in our home region of Northwest Arkansas and the Arkansas-Mississippi Delta. To learn more, visit waltonfamilyfoundation.org and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
About the Environment Program
The Walton Family Foundation works for solutions so nature and people can thrive together. The program focuses on the connections between water and climate change — specifically in the Colorado River basin, the Mississippi River basin, and oceans through sustainable seafood. Learn more about the Environment Program.
In our Oceans work we:
- Provide fishing communities the tools they need to make better fisheries decisions & elevate the voices of fishing communities in fisheries management
- Incentivize voluntary action from the seafood industry to improve the sustainability of fisheries, livelihoods of fishers, and curb illegal fishing
- Build the business case for companies to invest in improving the health of the fisheries they purchase from
- Establish rules and laws that prevent illegally caught fish from entering the US, EU and Japan
In addition to our Oceans portfolio, the environment team has programs to improve the quality and availability of water in our nation’s largest river basins – the Mississippi and Colorado rivers. Learn more about the Environment Program.
How to apply
Applications must include an updated resume and a cover letter that explains how previous experiences have prepared you for this role and why this role aligns with your career goals.
Click here to apply.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
The Walton Family Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building and maintaining a culturally diverse workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment of any kind. We encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.