Communications Officer, Environment
The Walton Family Foundation is seeking a skilled, highly motivated and entrepreneurial individual to join the foundation as a Communications Officer. This position can be in our Washington D.C. or Denver office.
About the position:
Specific duties include the following:
• Manage relationships with program officers to ensure all communications efforts help them reach their programmatic goals
• Build relationships with key audience groups, including grantees, influencers and reporters, to help advance the foundation’s work
• Help design earned, owned and paid communications strategies to help reach programmatic goals
• Generate content for earned, owned and paid media.
• Help manage internal calendars to ensure communications efforts complement all program areas and the broader foundation communications strategy
Who we are looking for:
• Builder of effective relationships and networks to achieve results
• Excellent writing skills, with keen ability to distill complicated ideas into clear, understandable messages
• Clear understanding of how to set and implement strategy
• Ability to manage projects from conception to execution
• Insight to know which stakeholders to incorporate into different projects at different times
• Incorporate feedback from multiple stakeholders while moving projects forward
• A problem solver who is outcome oriented
• Expert at juggling multiple tasks and priorities based on the impact on overall goals
• Creative and can produce great content without having to outsource
• Constantly iterating to achieve improved outcomes
• An ambassador with the ability to give and receive feedback graciously
• Superior communicator who treats everyone with respect
• Intellectual agility and the ability to analyze, think critically and understand emerging issues that are directly relevant to quality of life initiatives
• Unquestionable ethics and personal integrity
• Effective team member who is also able to act independently and deliver with limited guidance
• Willingness to make a passionate commitment to the goals of the Walton Family Foundation
• Ability to travel
About the Walton Family Foundation
The Walton Family Foundation is, at its core, a family-led foundation. The children and grandchildren of our founders, Sam and Helen Walton, lead the foundation and create access to opportunity for people and communities. We work in three areas: improving K-12 education, protecting rivers and oceans and the communities they support, and investing in our home region of Northwest Arkansas and the Arkansas-Mississippi Delta.
Headquartered in Bentonville, Arkansas, with offices in Washington, D.C., Jersey City, New Jersey and Denver, Colorado, approximately 130 staff conduct the day-to-day operations of the foundation.
The Walton Family Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building and maintaining a culturally diverse workplace. We encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status of protected veteran, among other things or status as a qualified individual with a disability.
• A Bachelor’s degree required
• At least five years of communications work experience
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, digital skills a bonus
Additional helpful experience includes
• Relevant master’s degree or higher
• Experience working on government, political campaigns or communications agencies