Deputy Director of Philanthropy and Impact Services
About the Position
Walton Personal Philanthropy Group is a growing team of 30+ impact-oriented programs and operations staff that bring to life the philanthropic visions of a number of Walton family households. As the philanthropic ambitions of the family we serve continue to grow and evolve, we are seeking a Deputy Director to help our team overlay best practices in philanthropy with their subject matter or functional expertise and help us leverage our collective knowledge and skills in benefit of the Walton philanthropy ecosystem.
The Deputy Director of Philanthropy and Impact Services is a new leadership position that will play a key role in enabling members of the Walton Personal Philanthropy Group to provide best-in-class services to Walton family households. This role has two key functions:
- Establish and manage a function and set of resources, including a knowledge and resource hub, that will support team development and enable team members to easily tap into and apply philanthropy best practices to their ongoing work.
- Manage and develop philanthropy professionals who support the philanthropic work of Walton family households
This is a new position and may evolve over time. Comfort operating within ambiguity and an entrepreneurial spirit are critical for success. The right candidate will be excited by the prospect of building and owning a new function to facilitate greater efficiency, efficacy, and impact. This Denver or Bentonville based position will report to the WPPG Director.
What you will do
Learning and Development
- Develop and continually manage a grantmaking knowledge and resource hub that codifies best practices for grantmaking and strategic philanthropy
-Identify gaps in resources and develop materials as needed
- Identify and meet the knowledge and skill development needs of the philanthropy teams
- Identify and facilitate opportunities for information sharing among the philanthropy teams on topics of shared interest, best practice approaches, and job functions.
- Facilitate trainings for the philanthropy teams using a variety of approaches (in person, webinars, written resource guides, etc.)
- Develop and implement new employee onboarding/training for the WPPG team.
- Manage and support philanthropy professionals that serve various clients
- Oversee activity to ensure quality of work and that the team provides superior client service
- Develop the skills of philanthropy professionals on the team by coaching, training, and connecting them to resources
- Serve as a thought partner for the team on the work as well as client relationship management
- Serve as an expert resource on strategic philanthropy for team members
- Provide guidance and coaching to team members as they develop or refine philanthropic strategies, programs, and/or grantmaking initiatives
- Elevate quality of deliverables by bringing a critical lens to materials and offering constructive feedback
- As needed, partner with the WPPG Director to identify additional capacity needs on the team and work with recruiting to identify talented candidates and select new employees. Onboard new staff to ensure they are able to be effective in their roles.
- When necessary, help teams solve challenging situations and service issues with clients.
- Coordinate with WPPG Director to implement initiatives across the organization
- Serve as a strategic thought partner to the WPPG Director
- Other duties as assigned
Whom we are looking for
You must possess the business acumen and leadership skills necessary to lead the organization through a time of evolution and change. You must have the skills to foster an environment of creativity and innovation while leading an exceptional team with deep content expertise.
Qualifications required for your success
- 10+ years of leadership and strategy experience with a mission-driven consulting firm or philanthropy organization resulting in demonstrated fluency in philanthropy
- Strong experience with development of philanthropy strategies and execution of philanthropy portfolios
- Familiarity and comfort with impact investing and advocacy, and understanding of how to use various impact tools as part of a holistic strategy
- Exceptional client service skills and significant experience in a client service business (e.g., consulting).
- Excellent people management skills, with the ability to manage and develop staff with a measured and insightful approach
- Experience designing/leading trainings and facilitating other adult learning opportunities, both in person and remote
- Experience developing and/or maintaining knowledge management resources and facilitating information sharing across teams and/or organizations
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and experience developing high-quality deliverables
- Strong time management and organizational skills including experience managing multiple project flows
- Strong knowledge of best practices in the philanthropy sector at large and emerging trends.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and identify emerging needs.
Additional Helpful Experience Includes
- Experience working with Principals and/or executive-level leadership
- Strong networking skills and deep relationships within the philanthropy sector
Personal attributes that support your success
- Strong orientation for client service. A passion to serve in a way that demonstrates respect and care for family and staff and exceeds expectations
- Comfort with and ability to toggle between execution-oriented tasks and strategic thinking
- Intellectual agility and the ability to analyze, think critically, develop strategic approaches, and understand varied areas of interest.
- Comfortable working autonomously but also with a broader team. Able to be flexible and adaptable, comfortable with uncertainty
- Ability to serve as a trusted advisor to Principals and colleagues and exhibit humility, integrity, sound judgement, and confidentiality
- Relentless in the pursuit of excellence and continuous improvement. You give and receive feedback graciously, all with the aim of improving the experience and success of Principals.
How to Apply and Benefits Information*
Compensation Range: $200,000 - $220,000 annually
Benefits Information: We offer a comprehensive and generous benefits package which includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 401 (k) retirement plan and paid time off.
*This information is provided to comply with Colorado Law
About the Walton Personal Philanthropy Group
The Walton Personal Philanthropy Group (WPPG) provides services to the family of Sam and Helen Walton to support their individual philanthropic activities. These services for the family and their related entities include program and grant management, strategy consulting and grant administration. WPPG is a part of Walton Enterprises, the family office of the Walton family.
About Walton Enterprises
Walton Enterprises supports the personal, philanthropic, and business activity for the Walton family. We are a family-led organization, supporting multiple generations of Sam & Helen Walton’s family.
Walton Enterprises is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building and maintaining a culturally diverse workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment of any kind. We encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.