Executive Assistant, K-12 Education Program
The Walton Family Foundation is seeking a highly-motivated, proactive and adaptable individual to join the foundation’s K-12 Education Program as an executive assistant. As an executive assistant, you will serve as the K-12 Education Program Director’s “right hand,” managing vital logistical processes and supporting the long-term success and visibility of the team on a national scale. This role is an excellent opportunity to gain valuable experience and exposure to the fast-paced environment of education philanthropy and reform. The position is located in our Jersey City office.
About the Position
The primary duty of the executive assistant will be to provide high-level project and operational support to the K-12 Education Program Director and Leadership Team. This fast-paced position plays a key role in the success of the K-12 Education Program staff. Specific duties include:
Executive Support (90% of time)
- Provide operational support to the director and Leadership Team, including scheduling meetings, conference calls, maintaining calendars, arranging travel, coordinating correspondence and processing reimbursements and expenditures.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with internal team members and external stakeholders (key partners, grantees, leaders in the education field)
- Design and implement a system for timely and accurate information flow to and from the director and Leadership Team
- Anticipate director and Leadership Team operational needs and respond adeptly to rapidly changing priorities.
- Track, monitor and follow-up on projects and action items that stem from the director; work closely with members of the leadership to receive regular updates on outstanding items
- Act as liaison between K-12 Education Program staff and home office administration for information and updated processes.
- Participate in internal team meetings centered on the K-12 Education Program's initiatives and strategies.
Special Projects and Office Operations (10% of time)
- Special projects, as assigned. Examples include: assembling material for Board meetings and assisting with team retreat operations and logistics
- Manage in-office meetings, including; room and equipment set up, material preparation, food and beverage ordering and set up. Maintain inventory and office supplies. Anticipate office needs; evaluate new office products; place orders, when necessary. Act as liaison between staff and office building management
Who we are looking for
The position calls for a passion for or a willingness to learn about, the foundation’s K-12 Education Program. The role requires initiative and decisiveness combined with flexibility and a capacity to give and receive feedback graciously.
The Foundation seeks a strong individual with excellent interpersonal, technical and communication skills. The successful candidate will be both a self-starter who knows how to take the initiative, and a collaborative colleague who can work effectively as part of a dynamic, nation-wide team.
Qualifications required for your success
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- 3 – 5 years of full-time professional experience providing senior-level support;
- Exceptional organizational skills, detail-orientation, and project-management skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly and follow-through consistently;
- Discretion, strong judgment, intellectual agility, and flexibility about overall priorities and day-to-day tasks;
- Ability to hold others accountable to deadlines, understand and navigate complex processes and communicate effectively with both internal and external stakeholders;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills under tight timelines;
- A passionate commitment to the goals of the Walton Family Foundation and the K-12 team, and the ability/willingness to adapt as those goals evolve;
- Ability to build internal and external relationships and networks in order to achieve the Foundation’s ambitious goals;
- Unquestionable ethics and personal integrity;
- Strong technical skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook
About the Walton Family Foundation
The Walton Family Foundation is, at its core, a family-led foundation. The children and grandchildren of our founders, Sam and Helen Walton, lead the foundation and create access to opportunity for people and communities. The Foundation’s giving is focused on three areas: improving K-12 education, protecting rivers and oceans, and the communities they support, and investing in our home region of Northwest Arkansas and the Arkansas-Mississippi Delta. In 2017, the foundation awarded more than $535 million in grants in support of these initiatives. To learn more, visit waltonfamilyfoundation.org and follow us on Facebook and Twitter. Headquartered in Bentonville, Arkansas, with offices in Washington, D.C., Jersey City, New Jersey and Denver, Colorado, approximately 125 staff conduct the day-to-day operations of the foundation.
About the K-12 Education Program
We believe children must have access to a high-quality education that works for them in order to have a lifetime of opportunity. We:
- Support the growth of schools that transform the lives of children, especially those from low-income communities;
- Collaborate with schools of all kinds – public charter schools, district schools and private schools – on bold ideas for change;
- Support excellence in teaching by helping educators do their best for students; and
- Believe in the uniqueness of each child, school and community, and that there is no one-size-fits-all solution.
Learn more about the K-12 Education Program strategy here.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is commensurate with experience. The foundation offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes health care plans (medical, dental and vision), life/AD&D and disability insurances, flexible spending accounts, and a retirement plan.
How to Apply
Interested individuals should e-mail their application documents to Jamie Truman (firstname.lastname@example.org) with “Executive Assistant Position” as the subject line.
Applications must include an updated resume and a cover letter that explains which of your previous experiences have prepared you for this role and how this position aligns with your longer term career goals.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
The Walton Family Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building and maintaining a culturally diverse workplace. We encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status of protected veteran, among other things or status as a qualified individual with a disability.