Program Officer, Walton Personal Philanthropy Group
Walton Enterprises is seeking a proactive, detail oriented, and execution-focused individual to join the team as a Program Officer.
About the Position
The Program Officer is responsible for working with a Walton family member (the Principal) to plan and execute their personal strategic philanthropy in targeted issue areas and geographies.
What you will do
You will provide philanthropy-related services for the Principal, including program and grant management, impact strategy development, grantee relationship management, grant administration, and impact evaluation.
- Ensure a positive experience for the Principal through superior customer service; be proactive in anticipating needs, effectively communicate progress, and provide accurate, timely resolution of issues when they arise.
- For targeted issue areas identified by the Principal, research the outstanding need in focus geographies, refine philanthropy strategies and develop goals for impact. Identify optimal partners for philanthropy support.
- Develop and execute strategic grants: conduct due diligence on organizations, their leadership and capacity to carry out programs; define grant terms and expectations; obtain agreement on reasonable outputs and outcomes including how they will be measured and reported; review budgets for appropriate expenditures; conduct site visits; monitor ongoing operations, review financial and narrative reports and ensure timely payments.
- Assess the success of grants and their impact, and continuously learn from/improve work based on research, grant results, and work with experts.
- Communicate with the Program Officers of other family members to ensure coordinated support.
- Collaborate with departments across Walton Enterprises to provide coordinated support to the Principal; coordinate with other professionals in HR, Legal, etc. to work through issues and arrive at solutions.
- As needed, source and manage outside consultants: develop RFPs, solicit proposals, develop work plans, oversee contracts and ensure high-quality deliverables.
- Serve as an expert resource for the Principal on grantmaking best practices, foundation administration and other philanthropy topics.
- Effectively manage workflow and processes through clear communication that is simple, effective and customized.
- Manage other projects and assignments as requested.
Who we are looking for
You are a strategic self-starter who is able to tackle complex issues, identify potential philanthropic solutions, and work with others to implement plans, all in service to the Principal and their goals for social impact. You have superior client service skills and instincts and can serve as an expert advisor and representative for the Principal in their philanthropy efforts.
As a generalist Program Officer, this position calls on a breadth of knowledge rather than depth in one content area. Most important is an understanding of effective philanthropy that can be applied across any program area. However, knowledge of and experience in women and mother-related issues is a plus.
Qualifications required for your success
- 5+ years of related social change or grantmaking experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Experience working with a Principal on their philanthropy, including developing philanthropy strategies and executing a philanthropy portfolio
- Experience developing grant proposals, managing grants and grantees, and evaluating success
- Willingness to travel up to 30% of time
Additional Helpful Experience Includes
- Grantmaking and/or foundation management
- Entrepreneurial or Intrapreneurial experience, taking and managing associated risks
- Interest and experience in women and mother-related issues
Personal attributes that support your success
- Strong orientation for client service; ability to assess and meet the Principal’s goals and preferences. A passion to serve in a way that demonstrates respect and care for family and staff and exceeds expectations.
- Intellectual agility and the ability to analyze, think critically, develop strategic approaches, and understand varied areas of interest. Able to effectively synthesize information and glean key points from research as well as interactions with the Principal and others.
- Comfortable working autonomously but also with a broader team serving the Principal. Able to be flexible and adaptable, comfortable with uncertainty.
- Ability to serve as a trusted advisor to Principals, colleagues and grantees and exhibit humility, integrity and exercise sound judgment and confidentiality.
- Strong communication skills, in person, via phone, and through written communication. Very skilled with Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Relentless in the pursuit of excellence and continuous improvement. You have a proven background of enhancing processes, systems and platforms to increase success and operational efficiency. You give and receive feedback graciously, all with the aim of improving the experience and success of the Principal.
About the Walton Personal Philanthropy Group
The Walton Personal Philanthropy Group (WPPG) provides services to the family of Sam and Helen Walton to support their individual philanthropic activities. These services for the family and their related entities include program and grant management, strategy consulting and grant administration. WPPG is a part of Walton Enterprises, the family office of the Walton family.
About Walton Enterprises
Walton Enterprises (WEI) is a family office serving the personal and financial needs of multiple generations of the Walton family. Guided by Sam Walton’s values, WEI’s mission is to enable all family members to reach their personal, philanthropic, and business aspirations.
As the family’s wealth grows and a new generation takes on more meaningful roles, WEI is expanding the scope, depth and sophistication of its services, which include wealth management, legal, accounting, tax, risk management/insurance, technology, HR, construction, facilities management, as well as oversight of external resources and services for family members and their related entities. This is an exciting time to be part of this world class team.
Walton Enterprises is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building and maintaining a culturally diverse workplace. We encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status of protected veteran, among other things or status as a qualified individual with a disability.