The Walton Family Foundation is seeking a skilled, highly motivated and entrepreneurial individual to join the foundation’s Bentonville, AR office as a staff accountant.
About the Position
Specific duties include the following:
- Assist foundation program staff in analyzing all types of financial information related to grantmaking.
- Monitor trends and conditions to determine and alert program staff and managers of potential problem situations, which surface from analytical research.
- Provide additional support to the Accounting and Operations department related to internal and external reporting.
- Assist in maintaining foundation general ledger, preparation of monthly financial statements and reconciliation of various general ledger accounts.
- Assist with preparing the annual independent financial statement audit, foundation tax returns, and other reporting requirements.
- Make recommendations to senior management on improvements to accounting, finance and grantmaking processes.
- Perform other related duties as required and necessary to accomplish foundation goals and objectives.
Who we are looking for
Qualifications required for your success
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance or related field.
- Minimum of 3 years’ work experience in accounting or finance.
- Strong technical skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and SharePoint.
Additional preferred qualifications
- Master's degree in accounting, finance, or related field.
- Experience using Microsoft GP and SQL DB management.
- Accounting experience working for a non-profit organization or foundation
Additional helpful experience includes
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, problem solver with a demonstrated capacity to meet deadlines and a commitment to customer service.
- Intellectual agility and the ability to analyze and think critically.
- Strong training skills and ability to communicate technical financial information to non-technical staff members.
- Self-direction combined with the ability to give and receive feedback graciously.
- Good interpersonal skills, a respectful attitude for the work of the foundation and our grantees, and a demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Innate desire to improve processes and efficiencies, and be able to articulate ideas to peers, executives and external partners.
- Time management skills, the ability to work independently with moderate to no supervision, willingness to take initiative and capacity to take on additional projects.
- Unquestionable ethics and integrity.
About the Walton Family Foundation
The Walton Family Foundation is, at its core, a family-led foundation. The children and grandchildren of our founders, Sam and Helen Walton, lead the foundation and create access to opportunity for people and communities. The foundation’s giving is focused on three areas: improving K-12 education, protecting rivers and oceans and the communities they support, and investing in our home region of Northwest Arkansas and the Arkansas-Mississippi Delta. The foundation also invests in areas of deep personal interest to individual family members.
Headquartered in Bentonville, Arkansas, with offices in Washington, D.C., Jersey City, New Jersey and Denver, Colorado, approximately 110 staff conduct the day-to-day operations of the foundation.
The Walton Family Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building and maintaining a culturally diverse workplace. We encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status of protected veteran, among other things or status as a qualified individual with a disability.