Communications Officer, Education
Position: Communications Officer, Education Team
Location: Bentonville, AR, Denver, CO, Jersey City, NJ or Washington, D.C.
The Walton Family Foundation is seeking an experienced, skilled, highly motivated, and entrepreneurial individual to join the foundation as a Communications Officer.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging
We believe every associate should have access to success. Creating an environment centered on trust, respect and bringing people together is critical to this believe.
Our aspirations are as follows:
- Create an environment where we hire, retain and bring to the table people with diverse backgrounds, viewpoints and lived experiences to create a more successful organization.
- Ensure fairness, equity and access to success for all of our associates.
- Create an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued, safe and able to engage honestly.
About the Walton Family Foundation
The Walton Family Foundation is, at its core, a family-led foundation. Three generations of the descendants of our founders, Sam and Helen Walton, and their spouses, work together to lead the foundation and create access to opportunity for people and communities. We work in three areas: improving K-12 education, protecting rivers and oceans and the communities they support, and investing in our home region of Northwest Arkansas and the Arkansas-Mississippi Delta. To learn more, visit waltonfamilyfoundation.org and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The Walton Family Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building and maintaining a culturally diverse workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment of any kind. We encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
About the position:
Specific duties include the following:
- Manage relationships with program officers to ensure all communications efforts help them reach their programmatic goals.
- Build relationships with key audience groups, including grantees, influencers and reporters to help advance the foundation’s work
- Help design earned, owned and paid communications strategies to help reach programmatic goals
- Generate content for earned, owned, and paid media.
- Help manage internal calendars to ensure communications efforts complement all program areas and the broader foundation communications strategy.
- Manage grants to increase awareness of and support for education grantees and the foundation broadly.
This is not a Remote Work position.
Who we are looking for:
- Builder of effective relationships and networks to achieve results.
- Excellent writing skills, with keen ability to distill complicated ideas into clear, understandable messages.
- Clear understanding of how to set and implement strategy.
- Ability to manage projects from conception to execution.
- Ability to influence without authority.
- Insight to know which stakeholders to incorporate into different projects at different times.
- Incorporate feedback from multiple stakeholders while moving projects forward
- A problem-solver who is outcome-oriented.
- Expert at juggling multiple tasks and priorities based on the impact on overall goals.
- Creative and can produce great content without having to outsource.
- Constantly iterating to achieve improved outcomes.
- An ambassador with the ability to give and receive feedback graciously.
- Superior communicator who treats everyone with respect.
- Intellectual agility and the ability to analyze, think critically and understand emerging issues that are directly relevant to quality-of-life initiatives.
- Unquestionable ethics and personal integrity.
- Effective team member who is also able to act independently and deliver with limited guidance.
- Willingness to make a passionate commitment to the goals of the Walton Family Foundation.
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time.
Qualifications required for your success
- At least five years of communications work experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, media relations skills a bonus.
Additional Helpful Experience Includes
- Experience working on government, political campaigns, or communications agencies.
Personal attributes that support your success
- Ability to act as a trusted advisor to principals and colleagues while demonstrating expertise and integrity.
- You are helpful, a team player, and show respect while collaborating with others.
- You are results oriented and exercise sound judgment in your work.
- A lifelong learner, who is inquisitive and solves problems with bold thinking and innovation.
- A visionary who plans for the future with imagination and wisdom.
- You are dedicated to achieving excellence and work with others to tackle the tasks at hand.
All offers of employment are contingent on your successful completion (where permitted by state law) of a confidentiality agreement and background check. In addition, you will need to provide proper identification verifying your eligibility to work in the United States on your first day of work.
Compensation Range: $115,000 - $140,000
Benefits Information: We offer a comprehensive and generous benefits package which includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 401(k)-retirement plan and paid time off.